Friday, April 11, 2008

wikipedia

At one point I had a link pointing to my site www.TowerOfDefense.com on wikipedia specifically on its Tower Defense page.

I added it directly below the only other link(which I won't mention, now gone just like me) in the "external links" category. The link before me had a text description along the lines of "a forum to talk about Tower Defense Games".

So I ever so politely did not touch this link and entered my link www.TowerOfDefense.com below it with the text description: "The Ultimate Tower Defense Games Portal". My site traffic got an instant boost! But after only a few days it was gone. So I figured the person who posted the link just above me didn't like having some of his traffic diverted.

I went and re-entered it again. But this time I thought maybe I'm stepping on a few toes when I wrote "The Ultimate Tower Defense Games Portal" so I instead put something along the lines of "Free Flash Online Tower Defense Games". This time a few days goes by and I'm thinking great its going to stick this time.

But no I was deleted again! But to make things worse this time instead of just being deleted, the above link added a 2nd link in place of mine pointing to his collection of TD games!

So now it was war! I had been super polite and always posted below others and seemed to follow all the rules and this guy just keeps deleting me! So I go back and delete him and post my link with the original text description. Guess what happens next. Boom were both gone. Wikipedia removes us both. Isn't that great instead of sharing a little and he gets nothing just like me.

What have I learned from this? 1- People are greedy. 2- Wikipedia is taking control over its content. Is less user input and stricter control a good thing or bad? You tell me?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wikipedia wasn't made for people like you to spam with sites.

James Tower said...

Ouch that hurts. Spam, I wouldn't say so. Nothing wrong with being listed as a reference if a Wikipedia reader has never played a Tower Defense game before. I think TowerOfDefense.com is one of if not the best site for free online Tower Defense games. :)

td games said...

Check out more td games now at funtdgames.com